Headache is defined as aching or pain in one or more areas of the head or neck. Both the frequency and pain level can vary greatly. About 90 percent of all headaches fall into three categories: tension headaches, migraines, and cluster headaches. The remaining 10 percent fall into the category of secondary headaches
Headaches and Trigger Points
When suffering from headaches, you may be diagnosed with general terms such as tension headache, migraine, or TMJ pain. But in most cases the true cause isn’t identified. And one of the most over looked cause is trigger points in one or more muscles, but most diagnosing practitioners are unfamiliar with trigger points. In fact, trigger points can play a very large role in most types of chronic and acute headaches, as well as temporomandibular joint problems (TMJ). This means you may be able to get a great deal of relief, or even complete relief, by working on trigger points and eliminating perpetuating factors.
Your headache, migraine, and TMJ pain is likely treatable. So the sooner you start treatment the faster you will experience pain relief!
The temporomandibular (tem-puh-roe-mun-DIB-u-lur) joint (TMJ) acts like a sliding hinge, connecting your jawbone to your skull. TMJ disorders can cause pain in your jaw joint and in the muscles that control jaw movement.
Although there are many other potential causes of headaches, trigger points in the muscles of neck, head and face are often the culprit.
A thorough lifestyle assessment is also extremely important when treating chronic headaches.
In both hands-on and virtual session we often catch something that might have been missed. It could be a work related behavior, something about how you sleep, your general hydration level or countless dietary and other habits.